Federal government appoints new autism spectrum disorder working group
The Hon. Minister of Health Rona Ambrose announced the members of a new working group focusing on autism spectrum disorder on July 8. Four NeuroDevNet researchers, including principal investigators Drs. Stephen Scherer, Lonnie Zwaigenbaum, and Jonathan Weiss are among the appointees.
The working group, which met for the first time in Edmonton, will consult stakeholders to develop a plan for a Canadian Autism Partnership. Consultations are to address topics that are key elements of NeuroDevNet's mission, including information sharing and research, early detection, diagnosis and treatment, and ways to support Canadian families affected by ASD.
"Our Government is committed to supporting partnerships that will help Canadians with autism and their families," said Minister Ambrose. "As Minister of Health I am pleased to lead the work of the Autism Spectrum Disorder Working Group alongside Cynthia Carroll, Chair of the Canadian Autism Spectrum Disorder Alliance. The experience and expertise of the working group members and their dedication to making a difference for Canadians and their families, will lead us to real solutions."
CTV News Edmonton covered the inaugural meeting of the Working Group, interviewing participants including Dr. Stephen Scherer. The full roster of members appears below.
- Cynthia Carroll, Chair of the Canadian Autism Spectrum Disorder Alliance and Executive Director of Autism Nova Scotia
- Dr. Margaret Clarke, Senior Vice-President, Sinneave Family Foundation
- Jill Farber, Executive Director, Autism Speaks Canada
- Dr. Stelios Georgiades, ASD Researcher, McMaster University
- Warren Greenstone, CEO, Miriam Foundation
- Laurie Mawlam, Executive Director, Autism Canada
- Dr. Stephen Scherer, Director, Centre for Applied Genomics, Hospital for Sick Kids
- Dr. Robert Strang, Chief Public Health Officer, Nova Scotia Department of Health and Wellness
- Dr. Jonathan Weiss, Research Chair, Autism Spectrum Disorder Treatment and Care, York University
- Margaret Whelan, Member, CASDA
- Dr. Lonnie Zwaigenbaum, Co-Director, Autism Research Centre, Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital
Current Job Opportunity:
Research Associate - Health Policy, School of Public Policy at the University of Calgary